Canik 55 TP-9

Discuss Handguns

Canik 55 TP-9

Post Number:#1  Postby Reality_Czech » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 am

My son's graduation rapidly approaches and he has enrolled in the Criminal Justice program for the next stage of his education. As a graduation gift, I told him to pick any gun out of my collection that he would like. He chose my Italian CZ-75 (excellent choice BTW) so I find myself in the market for a new EDC. With this in mind I have been reading reviews and had a few ideas when I decided to take the plunge on a relative newcomer to US soil that has generated quite a bit of buzz. The Canik 55 TP-9 in 9mm Parabellum.

At a little over $300.00 at my local Fleet Farm, it seemed like a pretty safe test even though I had originally planned on waiting for one of my favorite reviewers to cover it before I made a decision. I paid my money, waited my 48 hours :roll: and picked up the weapon. The ergonomics on the gun are great. I have large hands and really need a sizably gripped handgun to shoot comfortably. The TP-9 appears to be a modified Walther P99 (or Smith & Wesson SW99) with a few changes. Probably the two biggest are the de-cocker built into the top of the slide and the magazine release. The action on the TP-9 is a double/single action striker design with second strike capability. I know people have wondered why a striker gun needs a de-cocker, but I like having the ability to carry it with the first shot having a double action trigger pull and single action for each subsequent shot. The second big change is the magazine release. The Walther mag release was a lever that was part of the lower portion of the trigger guard. I never cared for this design since it was completely different than every weapon I had put many, many hours of training in with. A traditionally placed magazine release is well embedded into my "muscle memory" so I tend to agree with another reviewer who praised the TP-9's return to a button behind the trigger guard as... "where God intended it to be" :-D

The pistol came with two 18 rd magazines, a Serpa style holster (with paddle and belt attachment), cleaning brushes, magazine loader, interchangable grip backstrap, gun lock and a very nice case. The holster is of limited use to me since it is right handed and I never really liked the Serpa push button design. Fortunately, the TP-9 fits in P99 holsters currently on the market so this not an issue. OEM magazines are manufactured by Mec-Gar and are of very high quality. I have found spare Mec-Gar mags available from a variety of online sources so that shouldn't be an issue. Canik 55 is part of a Turkish military / NATO defense contractor (Samsun Yurt Savunma Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S.) which is known for very high production standards (ISO 9000/9001) and this quality shows in the TP-9.

I took my TP-9 to my local gun club for some break in time. I put 150 rounds through it using two handed, one handed strong side and one handed weak side grips. I had no malfunctions at all with Winchester 115 gr white box and 147 gr ammunition. Accuracy was good, the weapon was inherently pointable and the trigger was smooth with a very short reset. A week later I went to a different range, maintained by the DNR, where I could take the training wheels off and see what the gun could do. I brought another 150 rounds of FMJ and a box of Hornady 135 gr Critical Duty. I ran multiple target engagement drills, movement drills, reload drills, timed drills and rapid fire drills with the start point of every drill being a draw from my preferred CC holster. Again, the TP-9 ran flawlessly and with acceptable combat accuracy. I am very satisfied with this handgun and agree with Nut'n Fancy in that I think this gun is only going to go up in price.

Last edited by Reality_Czech on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Reality_Czech
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Canik 55 TP-9

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Canik 55 TP-9

Post Number:#2  Postby Scott » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:49 am

Outstanding review! Thank you.
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#3  Postby guncheese » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:26 pm

have about 4k rounds thru mine
"sewing machine!!"
its my EDC currently
had a holster made for it

guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby Reality_Czech » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks Scott!

That is a sharp looking holster Guncheese. I was originally going to get my TP-9 in black finish, but they only had titanium and desert tan. I didn't like the titanium look so I went with my first gun that is not a traditional gun color. The desert tan has definitely grown on me! You must have had yours for a bit now. They don't have the dolphin on the grip any more. Now it's like a two headed eagle or something. Glad to see yours is running so well!
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Reality_Czech
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#5  Postby tuck » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I watched nutnfancy's review of the TP-9 the other day and was intrigued by it. I'm a fan of Walther P99's, so I'd like to give the TP-9 a try. If it's reliable over the long term and it gets some aftermarket support I think it will do well.
Co-Owner/Instructor Brown Bear Tactical LLC
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#6  Postby palev » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Nice review R_C. I think I will make a trip to fleet farm this Saturday.
Random avatar
palev
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#7  Postby palev » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 pm

FYI fleet farm has the tp-9 on sale for $309 this week.
Random avatar
palev
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#8  Postby chyit » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 am

For some reason this gun just caught my eye, so I looked at a lot of reviews on it and they were all pretty good. The only negative was if it ever needs repairs it would have to be sent back to CAI, and I can envision a long wait time. I really didn’t need another pistol but I had to go and look at it. I went to Fleet Farm in Appleton Sat. and ended up telling them it write it up for $309. I picked it up Monday and by that time they had already sold the one out of the show case. I took it all down and gave it a good cleaning. I even removed the firing pin and the extractor. I blasted it all down including all the trigger parts with non- chlorinated brake cleaner. I then blew everything dry with an air gun. Now everything was white glove clean. I then lubed everything with synthetic gun oil. That made the trigger pull really smooth. After the take up in the single action mode, it breaks nice and clean. I hope to get to the range tomorrow or Friday to give it a shake down. I will report back when I get some rounds through it.
Last edited by chyit on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#9  Postby guncheese » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

shoot that trigger to the reset your gonna love it
and the decocker really makes this a great OWB carry gun
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#10  Postby chyit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 pm

I got to the range and put 150 rounds through it. The slide failed to lock back with the second mag. After that it ran fine. I shot blazer steel jacket, a couple different kinds of sub-sonic loads, jacketed hollow points and other FMJ. In all I shot eight different kinds of ammo through it with no problems. Out of the box it shot way to the left at ten yards. I had to adjust the rear sight over a lot. I was not very happy with that. It also was shooting a little low. It came with three front sights so I will try a lower one next time out. I really didn’t concentrate on bulls eye shooting a lot because I was just getting use to the gun and trigger, and just playing with it. The last 60 rounds I started to take more time to aim and I got 10 rounds in the 2 inch ring, 15 in the 4 inch, 16 in the 6 inch, 8 in the 8 inch and 8 in the 9 inch all at ten yards. Nothing to brag about, but I think with the right ammo and taking my time that spread will close up some. I don’t think it will be a bulls eye shooter, but an acceptable combat gun. The gun seemed to be very dirty when I got home and cleaned it, more so than my other guns, maybe because the desert tan shows the dirt more, or some of the ammo I used was dirty. I did like the trigger in the single action mode. I had a couple of double taps getting use to the reset. The trigger pull was smooth and short and broke nice and clean. At this point I would not say to go buy one, or do not buy one. I would want to run at least 300 rds through it without any problems before I would recommend it. So far so good for a $300 gun.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#11  Postby guncheese » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:25 pm

buy one!
buy one!
there i said it
yes do not expect it to be a bullseye gun, it isnt and it wont be. but it does have acceptable "combat" (what ever that means) accuracy.
i define "combat" accuracy as 6" at 25yds deliberate fire, i maybe wrong there, but i think i can draw a consensus on that

the TP-9 will go bang and cycle every time you pull the trigger, unless you dont put enough powder in the case (i had it fail to eject when i only had 2.8 gr of reddot behind a 105gr LSWC)
ohh i also have the rear sight cranked over a bit
and i had to shorten the front alot to get it where i wanted it

very reliable blaster
and i carried it until last week when i started to carry my 3rd gen smith. so a year and a half everyday where ever i was except in the shower

i wouldn't hesitate to buy another
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#12  Postby glennpenna » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I have owned my tp9 now for a few months and i have to say that I absolutely love this gun. I have probably put close to 1000s rounds so far and have yet to have any issues
The best weapons against an enemy is another enemy.
glennpenna

Return to Handguns