Defensive handgun for bear?

Discuss Handguns

Re: Defensive handgun for bear?

Post Number:#16  Postby mimalmo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 pm

This news story reminded me of this thread.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140715/ste ... k-his-home
mimalmo
Range Master
Range Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#17  Postby bsczar1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Some of y'all might remember this post I made from a couple years back:

What is the smallest caliber pistol you should carry to protect yourself from bear?

The best answer:

300px-Beretta950JetfireandClip-Shut.jpg
300px-Beretta950JetfireandClip-Shut.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in .22 short. I have carried it for many years, including while hiking. I never leave without it in my pocket.

Of course, the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". This it means you NEVER hike alone! You bring a friend, companion, or family member because if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time while hiking with my girlfriend in northern Alberta out of nowhere came this huge brown bear charging us and was she mad! We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I would not be here today. Just one shot to my girlfriend’s knee cap was all it took. The bear got her and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

NRA, WCI, III
bsczar1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby TWW » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 am

In case you have not seen this it was on the GOA Facebook page this morning: http://gunssavelives.net/blog/alaska-man-uses-45-handgun-to-kill-9ft-grizzly-trying-to-get-into-his-house/#
In this case, an Alaska man had to use his .45ACP handgun to shoot and kill a 9ft tall grizzly bear that repeatedly tried to break into his home.
The homeowner had fired several warning shots to scare the bear off, but just a couple of hours later, he was back and acting even more aggressively
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#19  Postby Tomahawk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 am

I have zero (none!) experience in this, but I seem to remember seeing in a couple places people recommending a Glock 20 in 10mm.
Random avatar
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#20  Postby Atonal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 am

bsczar1 wrote:Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I would not be here today. Just one shot to my girlfriend’s knee cap was all it took. The bear got her and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

??

I'm not sure I understand this paragraph. Can you clarify?
Using Tapatalk
Atonal

Post Number:#21  Postby Tomahawk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Atonal wrote:
bsczar1 wrote:Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I would not be here today. Just one shot to my girlfriend’s knee cap was all it took. The bear got her and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.

??

Pretty sure it relates to the old joke, "If you and a buddy are being chased by a bear, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy."
Random avatar
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#22  Postby bsczar1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Yes, it was just a joke. I would not shoot a girlfiend in the kneecap, that'd call for a headshot to eliminate the pain factor for her..... :mrgreen:
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

NRA, WCI, III
bsczar1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#23  Postby ksks » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm

bsczar1 wrote:Yes, it was just a joke. I would not shoot a girlfiend in the kneecap, that'd call for a headshot to eliminate the pain factor for her..... :mrgreen:

ding...ding...ding...

psychopath of the day award! :lol:
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#24  Postby Atonal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Tomahawk wrote:
Atonal wrote:

??

Pretty sure it relates to the old joke, "If you and a buddy are being chased by a bear, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy."

OK, got it! I'm an idiot! :-)
Using Tapatalk
Atonal

Post Number:#25  Postby Scott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:37 am

Eduardvics wrote:Let me start by saying that, for defense against bears, practically any firearm is better than none at all. Marauding bears have been killed by .22 rimfire pocket pistols; not very often, but it has been done by an Eskimo woman I happen to know about. However, the purpose of this article is to suggest far better and more reliable firearm choices for protection in bear country.

The English of the 123 streeters has greatly improved!
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#26  Postby Marc-Wi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:13 am

Yes, the last two are understandable. I don't know about the Eskimo woman but he winds up stating the obvious.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#27  Postby Tomahawk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 am

Scott wrote:
Eduardvics wrote:Let me start by saying that, for defense against bears, practically any firearm is better than none at all. Marauding bears have been killed by .22 rimfire pocket pistols; not very often, but it has been done by an Eskimo woman I happen to know about. However, the purpose of this article is to suggest far better and more reliable firearm choices for protection in bear country.

The English of the 123 streeters has greatly improved!

SkyNet is learning...
Random avatar
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#28  Postby GeorgiaGlocker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 am

john_bud wrote:Is your son comfortable with a LARGE revolver on his hip? Will he be trained and drill frequently to be able to safely draw and accurately fire at a very fast moving target? Exceptionally FEW people that are gun loving excellent shots fall in that category. Bears are ambush predators, except when they stalk up behind you. They also are grumpy and may swat just because they are pissed you snuck up on them.

My recommendation is a large can of bear spray in a hip holster. It MUST be in a quick draw holster and the draw hand can not have any thing else in it.

Why? Bears are over twice as explosively quick as human athletes. A knife wielder can stab an armed oc'er if they are inside of 25-30 ft before they can clear leather. We did that experiment in class and the shortest distance was over 30ft. So a bear inside af 60ft is able to reach you before you can clear leather. Attacking bears don't hesitate nor do they warn with sound, they just go.

I carry a 10mm auto while living in Georgia, visting the appalachian trail, there are black bear. I'd have Buffalo Bore cast 220gn loaded up in two mags. Its really the only load in an auto that will get deep penatration. Otherwise, go to a revolver, like a .41mag or .44 mag for some of the bigger brown and black bear. Or, better yet, carry a shotgun or rifle, seeing pistols are weak to begin with.

Of course, the best is to just avoid, or don't have anything to be inviting to them in the first place.
GeorgiaGlocker
Plinker
Plinker

Previous

Return to Handguns