Snap Caps

Discuss Training Concepts

Snap Caps

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 am

The articles on training made me wonder how valuable Snap Caps are. (correct spelling? mine do not have a name on them). Anyone have opinions especially on the limits like no feedback on how well you are aiming. They seem better than nothing for people short on time.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Snap Caps

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Snap Caps

Post Number:#2  Postby asa98j » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 am

I use mine at night practicing trigger control when dry firing...with a modern firearm you shouldn't hurt your weapon dry-firing on an empty cylinder
Speak softly and carry a 1911
GOA
NRA
WCI
III
Wisconsin Oathkeepers
Random avatar
asa98j
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#3  Postby oliverclotheshoff » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 am

they are a great training aid for dry fire practice and also a slap rack and roll training have some one load a couple snap caps randomly in a mag and fire them out it will teach you how to clear a jammed or a misfired round slap rack and roll slap the bottom of the mag rack slide and roll the firearm so the ejection port is facing the ground so the round can fall out if the ejector doesnt catch all the way
An armed society is certainly a safer society and a better society." J.B.VanHollen

"when seconds count police are minutes away"
"it only take second to call 911 but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"
"when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"
http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting
oliverclotheshoff
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby toofat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:05 am

what pistols/rifles need snap caps and which are ok to dry fire???
thanks
toofat
Sniper
Sniper

Post Number:#5  Postby chyit » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Snap caps are a wonderful thing to practice with. Loading and checking mags and running rounds through the gun, racking the slide and ejecting rounds without the danger of a ND. One thing to remember with snap caps is never, never store or keep them anywhere around live ammo. There are cases where shooters thought they had snap caps in and there was live ammo mixed in. I can remember a case at a range where someone was working on his ejector with snap caps and he had them laying there with live ammo. Guess what? An ND. Stay safe and keep them away from live ammo.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#6  Postby S&WFAN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:02 pm

toofat wrote:what pistols/rifles need snap caps and which are ok to dry fire???
thanks

In my limited experience; all 22LR/Rimfire guns, guns without return firing pin springs (ala SKS), guns with known weak firing pins (CZ52) and older non-US milsurp rifles/pistols should use snap caps. Modern guns made after 1970 are usually okay with dry firing.

That said, everyone should grab some - they are great training aids for malfunction drills.
Random avatar
S&WFAN
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#7  Postby Scott » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:30 pm

S&WFAN wrote:everyone should grab some - they are great training aids for malfunction drills.

:iagree:
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#8  Postby neighty » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

i bought some this past winter in 9, 40 and 45.
Great training aid, as stated above not only for dry firing, but loading and unloading as well.
neighty
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#9  Postby Marc-Wi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 am

Those who have Kel Tech PF9s may want to get some snap caps, the book says don't dry fire or you can damage the firing pin and the extractor spring screw. I haven't broken anything on mine yet but it might be prudent to use some.
The P3AT book says not to dry fire " as with any gun, dry firing should be avoided.". I haven't broken anything on mine either....yet. But it might be prudent.
Snap caps are inexpensive, even the good A Zoom ones. Cheaper than a busted gun for sure.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#10  Postby bforney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 am

Marc-Wi wrote:Those who have Kel Tech PF9s may want to get some snap caps, the book says don't dry fire or you can damage the firing pin and the extractor spring screw. I haven't broken anything on mine yet but it might be prudent to use some.
The P3AT book says not to dry fire " as with any gun, dry firing should be avoided.". I haven't broken anything on mine either....yet. But it might be prudent.
Snap caps are inexpensive, even the good A Zoom ones. Cheaper than a busted gun for sure.

I really have to wonder why done off these companies say or print the things they do.

Most guns are going to be just fine dry firing some can have issues but the blanket statement "as with any gun, dry firing should be avoided." I'd muddy likely crap. why you shouldn't post at 3 in the morning on an android device I have no idea what I meant to say there but evidently my smart tablet is smarter than me and choose the better words for me...

I remember the recall on the lcps a coupe of years ago, some them had a problem and could fire if dropped, problem with the hammer, recall posters and such said things like "obviously it is not safe with any gun to carry with a round in the chamber and to only have a chamber loaded if ready to fire on the range"

It can be better safe then sorry by using snap caps but most of the time it isn't going to cause a big problem. If the manual specifically says not to AND had a reason then definitely do not. I've had reps tell me that they don't recommend dry firing because it is more wear on the parts and to definitely not dry fire. Yes every time you pull the trigger you wear something on the gun but that is part of owning and using it. I have, for the most part, fighting guns, my goal is not to see how long I can make it last but see how long for me to wear some thing out because that means I've trained with it, used it, and enjoyed it. There are some things I have and I'm sure some of you have them too that are safe queens, they are guns to look pretty. Sure don't dry fire those, a fighting gun just make sure it is good condition and working, but use and abuse that thing because that is going to better prepare you to use it.

Sorry just the ramblings if a guy that can't sleep. Sent from a not so smart device evidently fixed a couple of things but have no idea what I was trying to say in that one section! :-D
http://www.dynamicarmaments.com
http://www.dynamicfirearmsinstruction.com
Brian Forney
Firearms Instructor, gunsmith, Cerakote(tm) applicator, licensed manufacturer
bforney
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby JerTech » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 am

The Ruger SR series says not to dry fire in the manual because of the magazine disconnect safety. They say dry firing is only to be done if you have a magazine inserted. However, I've removed my magazine disconnect, (it's designed to be easily removed by the owner) so I can dry fire it either way. I also have snap caps.
Hominem unius libri timeo.
Wisconsin Carry Infringed - An interactive map of Wisconsin's posted locations.
The Second Amendment: Clarity - A treatise on what our right really is.
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby Marc-Wi » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:01 am

Bfourney,I've also noticed every auto manual now days says never carry your gun with a round in the chamber. Stupid lawyers i bet behind a lot of this insanity.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#13  Postby Tomahawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Thread of olde, arise from thy grave!

Came across this article recently. Seems like a great idea:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/03/20 ... p-cap-mod/
There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Training Concepts