How To Apply For A Wisconsin Concealed Carry License

Discuss Wisconsin's Concealed Carry License

Post Number:#1  Postby Scott » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:49 pm

You must be a Wisconsin resident to obtain a Wisconsin Concealed Carry License. Wisconsin does not issue Non-Resident licenses.

A Wisconsin resident must have a Wisconsin concealed carry license in order to carry in Wisconsin, even if that individual holds a valid concealed carry license from another state.

Driver's License Address Changes: Important
Please ensure that you have notified the Department of Transportation (DOT) of any address change as required by law. The current residential address that you list on your concealed carry application MUST be the same as the one registered with DOT or your application will be denied. You Can Make Address Changes With DOT Online Here

COST
Initial License
$40.00
This pays for the $27 license fee and the $13 background check fee.

Renewal License
Up to $27.00

Getting The Application
If you do not have online access, you can mail a request for an application to:
Wisconsin Department of Justice
Attn: License Unit
PO Box 7130
Madison, WI, 53707-7130

Download the application from the Wisconsin Department Of Justice website using this link. Wisconsin Concealed Carry License Application

Filling Out The Application

Your application must:
Be completely filled out
Be signed in all areas indicated, to include the statement that the information provided in the application and any document submitted with the application is true and complete to the best of the applicant’s knowledge.

Proof Of Training Requirements
There are five ways to satisfy Wisconsin's training requirements. Copies of the documents listed below will suffice.

Act 35 requires applicants to provide proof of firearms safety training. Any one of the below listed documents will be accepted as proof of meeting the law’s training requirement:

1. The hunter education program established under s. 29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that is recognized by the department of natural resources. You Can Obtain A Duplicate Wisconsin Hunter Education Certificate Instantly Online Here

2. An unrevoked concealed carry license from another state or jurisdiction. You must enclose the affirmation form verifying it is not revoked for cause. The license may be current or expired. A copy of your concealed carry permit from any state may be used. You Can Download The Affirmation Form Here

3. Proof of military, law enforcement, or security firearms training.
Former military: DD214 or DD256 form showing either “honorable” or “general under honorable conditions” discharge or release from the US military.
Active military: Certificate of completion of basic training with service record of successful completion of small arms training.
Law enforcement: Certification letter from the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board or Law Enforcement Standards Board Transcript of Recruit Course Completion from Wisconsin or another state.
Security: Department of Safety and Professional Services Firearms Certification of Proficiency or similar course in another state.

4. Department of Justice Firearm Safety Course certificate (issued by DOJ-certified instructors).

5. Firearms safety or training certificate from a course taught by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors, or by an instructor certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors, or to the public by a law enforcement agency. If you participate in one of these courses, attach a copy of the certificate or affidavit from that course containing the following information:

Applicant’s name
Name of the firearms safety or training course.
Length of the firearms safety or training course (Minimum is 4 hours).
Date on which the applicant completed the firearms safety or training course
The city and state in which the applicant completed the firearms safety or training course
The name, address, and telephone number of the person or entity responsible for the firearms safety or training course (may be an individual instructor, national or state organization, law enforcement agency, educational institution, firearms training school, or another public or private institution or organization)
The name of the instructor who taught the firearms safety or training course and the name of the agency or organization that certified the instructor if different than above.
A signed statement by the instructor who taught the course affirming that the course satisfied the definition of a firearms safety or training course in s. JUS 17.03(8) and that the applicant successfully completed the course

Any one of the proof of training documents listed in #1-#5 are sufficient. For example, a person who submits a DNR hunter education certificate is not required to submit documentation of #2-#5.

Model Certificate
To make compliance with option 5 as easy to satisfy as possible, a model certificate is available that meets all of these requirements. Use of this model certificate is not required—any certificate that contains all the information specified in 5a through 5h is acceptable. However, use of the DOJ model certificate will ensure the certificate meets administrative requirements.
You Can Download The Model Certificate Here

If you have already attended training and your certificate is missing some of the information, you can do any of the following:
Request that your instructor complete the model certificate and send it to you via email or mail.
Contact your instructor or the organization, obtain the missing information (phone number, etc.), and attach it to your certificate.
Contact your instructor and obtain an additional document or email with the missing information to include with your certificate.

Sending In The Application
Include a check made out to the Wisconsin Department of Justice in the amount of $40.
Include a copy of your proof of training.

Mail To:
Wisconsin Department of Justice
Attn: License Unit
PO Box 7130
Madison, WI, 53707-7130

The Wisconsin Department Of Justice has 21 days to approve or deny your application.

Questions?
Due to the volume of phone calls still being received, the DOJ has initiated a phone tree designed to answer the most frequently asked questions. Utilizing the phone tree allows citizens to receive quicker responses, as well as provides more time for our personnel to work on license applications. If you have questions related to any aspect of the concealed carry licensing process please call 608-261-8647 and follow the prompts. You can also contact the Crime Information Bureau (CIB) at 608-266-7314 and choose option 7.

All of this information can be found at the Wisconsin Department Of Justice Concealed Carry Webpage

UPDATE 11/09/2011
On 11/7/11, The Joint Committee For The Review of Administrative Rules (JCRAR) suspended portions of the emergency rules affecting the training requirements for concealed carry licenses. Proof of training is still required to apply for a license. The changes include:

Elimination of any time requirement for the firearms safety and training course
Elimination of the word test from the definition of firearms safety and training course
Elimination of any time requirement for firearms instructor training
Elimination of the instructor’s signature from the certificate affirming they taught the course to the student
Elimination of any instructor contact information on the certificate
Elimination of the location where the training was provided from the certificate
Any application submitted prior to these changes will be processed in accordance with these revisions. If your application has been returned as a result of any of the above training issues, or because you did not have an out-of-state affirmation form; please resubmit the application with all necessary forms and the fee to the CIB Firearms Unit, PO Box 2718, Madison, WI 53701-2718, for reprocessing.

UPDATE 11/22/2013
Initial License fee decreased to $40.00

UPDATE 03/15/2013
Updated Links
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: How To Apply For A Wisconsin Concealed Carry License

Post Number:#2  Postby upnorth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks, this makes it easy to follow, all in one place. The time is getting close, a few days one way or the other isn't a big issue for me, but I must admit I'm getting a little anxious.
An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!
upnorth
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#3  Postby Willie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Brilliant! Well done.
nothing to see here, move along ;)
Willie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#4  Postby TWW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 am

3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is
licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or municipality of this state or of another state unless the
license has been revoked for cause.

People may be better off reading Scott's directions than those on the form. There is no mention of the affirmation saying the out of state permit has not been revoked on the form (or did I miss something?). The requirement is on the DOJ web page but not on the printed form I printed (updated 11:58 11/2). People who get forms by US mail could come up short just as people who only use the diretions on the form.
Last edited by TWW on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#5  Postby tuck » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 am

Mine's in the mail! Let the wait begin...
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#6  Postby SA1911 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 am

Here is APG's Alert on the License Application

http://eepurl.com/gNGEv
The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. I was told I ought not to use my pistol, because it was not fair. The first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Jeff Cooper
SA1911
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#7  Postby Cheap Shot » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 am

They threw us one curve - "ATTN: Firearms Unit"
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#8  Postby GlockGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:24 am

Where is my permit???? I mailed it this morning. :-D
GlockGuy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby Willie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am

Cheap Shot wrote:They threw us one curve - "ATTN: Firearms Unit"

Good catch
nothing to see here, move along ;)
Willie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#10  Postby upnorth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 pm

My envelope was already made out, I just added firearms over the word license....firearms
.....................................................................................................license unit
An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!
upnorth
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#11  Postby JeremyB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 pm

3. Proof of military, law enforcement, or security firearms training.
Former military: DD214 or DD256 form showing either “honorable” or “general under honorable conditions” discharge or release from the US military.
Active military: Certificate of completion of basic training with service record of successful completion of small arms training.

This must mean that most National Guard soldiers are SOL without other training. I only have one DD214, when I was released back to my local unit after completing basic and AIT, on the form, it says completion of IADT(Initial Active Duty for Training), and I am fairly sure my honorable discharge from the WIARNG was on NGB22-? form.

I don't have to worry about it anymore after getting some issues straightened out with the WIDNR so I can get a duplicate HS cert, but what about all the current/former Guard members that want a concealed carry and not interested in hunting. They go through the same basic training as the active duty soldiers
Random avatar
JeremyB
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#12  Postby Scott » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am

JeremyB wrote:but what about all the current/former Guard members that want a concealed carry and not interested in hunting. They go through the same basic training as the active duty soldiers

We have an active military member that faced this problem. I'm trying to find out how he resolved this.
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#13  Postby SoCalm » Mon May 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Scott,

Just get a copy of your DD 214 that lists your active duty training (ie; Basics and AIT) as well as any Discharges you may have. That will suffice to prove your weapons training for the Wisconisn CCW requirements.

If you don't have copies of the above, contact your unit and they will direct you to the proper source. In the event the unit no longer exists (like mine) you can get your pertinent records on line. Just use your search engine and ask how to get military or DD214 records. I got mine in a few weeks and backed it up with a copy of my three honorable discharges.

FYI, The State accepts copies of your documents. I strongly suggest that you file the copies you recieve from whatever source you obtain them
Random avatar
SoCalm

Post Number:#14  Postby bandrich » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:34 am

Initial fee is currently $40.00 vs $50.00
BA
Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP, etc.
bandrich
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#15  Postby Scott » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:23 am

bandrich wrote:Initial fee is currently $40.00 vs $50.00

Thank you very much for the heads up. The original post has been updated.
Scott
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Wisconsin Concealed Carry License