first impressions of Fleet Farm's Huldra Arms lineup

Discuss Long Guns

Post Number:#1  Postby luvthemud » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm

I was able to take a look at Fleet Farms new line of AR rifles yesterday. They also have complete uppers in stock as well!

Initially...well, it is an AR. most look, feel, smell, and sound the same. This one is really no different than any other AR I have seen or held.

The thing that got me considering buying one was the fact that it was chambered in 5.45 vs the 5.56. 5.45 can be had for way cheaper than 5.56 ammo. They have the russian made ammo on sale right now too, 1060 rounds for a mere $150. Big volume shooters would no doubt save some money on ammo. they are piston guns, which seems to be a good thing as well.

Few things that made me not buy one though.

First off....it is Fleet Farm. And the Huldra brand is "exclusive" to Fleet Farm stores. I always get a little hesitant when i hear that anything is "exclusive" to one particular store. The fact that it is Fleet Farm made me a little more hesitant. I have been shopping at Fleet Farm for as long as I can remember. Never had a problem with anything I have bought, but they are new to the AR scene. A month ago, their "tactical" inventory included a couple blackhawk holsters, some shotgun pistol grips, and maybe a red dot or two. Now they are suddenly stocking optics, rails, accessories, uppers, rifles, tools, stocks, and a bunch of other items that I never expected to see at Fleet Farm. From what i can understand is that the Huldra Arms is actually an offshoot of Adams Arms. Seem like a decent manufacturer, but why not just sell them under the Adams Arms name then? Seems weird to me and if this Huldra gun is as good as Fleet Farm wants me to believe, why would they sign up to work with Fleet Farm and not a store that has a history of offering ARs...ie, gander, scheels, dunhams, or why give "exclusivity" to anyone at all?!?!

Secondly...the price. $1500 for the fully railed version. $1500 can get you a really nice AR nowadays. From companies that have been around for a long time....longer than the 5 years that adams arms has been around. just saying it seemed a little high to me.

thirdly...the ammo. The reason i was even considering one was the "wow, i could save a ton of money on ammo" thought. I will rip through a few hundred rounds on any given day, and the thought of paying half the price for ammo sounded great. But the more i thought about it, do i want to shoot the 5.45. I have had bad luck in the past with Russian made ammo. I also don't like supporting a Russian ammo company when i can pay a little more and support an american company. Then i really thought about the potential savings....and it would take a long time for me to break even and start gaining. by the time i pay 1500 for the gun, throw some optics on it, some sort of grip, maybe a light/laser, and buy some ammo, i would be in the gun for at least $2000. that kind of money can buy a lot of .223 ammo, easily 6-7000 rounds. So i wouldn't start coming ahead until after shooting 7000 rounds?!?!

overall, if i could have gotten the fully railed top tier offering for closer to $1000, i probably would have taken the chance, but for $1500, i will stick to the 5.56 for a little while yet and maybe down the road by an upper and attach to one of my lowers, but not right now.

either way, props to Fleet Farm for taking the plunge into the AR market. Hopefully they continue to grow their selection and maybe if things go good, they will be able to offer some of the more conventional AR brands in the future.
luvthemud
Founding Member
Founding Member

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: first impressions of Fleet Farm's Huldra Arms lineup

Post Number:#2  Postby tuck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:27 pm

That pretty much sums up how I feel about their new line of rifles. I'd like to try one out, but I'd never pay what they're asking for one especially considering that you can get a top tier DI gun for what they want.

I do like the fact that Fleet started stocking AR accessories, though. It's nice to be able to run across town and pick up good quality parts, i.e. Magpul, Eotech, BCM...
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#3  Postby GUNBOY » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Did I miss the part about it's a "piston" rifle , as apposed to the normal? If your going to compare , don't compare "apples to ornages".

For the record , I wouldn't fire Russian ammo thru any of my rifles!
Guns have only two enemies...
Rust and Politicians!
-------------------------------------------------------------
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living...
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living!
GUNBOY
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#4  Postby luvthemud » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

19114ME wrote:Did I miss the part about it's a "piston" rifle , as apposed to the normal? If your going to compare , don't compare "apples to ornages".

For the record , I wouldn't fire Russian ammo thru any of my rifles!

i mentioned that they were a piston guns and it wasn't really meant to be a comparison piece....was just my first impression of the guns. thats all.

i don't really care if a gun is a DI or piston?!? IMO they both do the same thing, just a little different. i wouldn't consider a comparing a benelli to a beretta shotgun an apples to oranges comparison. maybe green apples to red apples LOL.

Hornady makes a 5.45 round, but it is just as expensive as a .223/5.56, so really the russian ammo would be the only choice if one was looking for cost savings.
luvthemud
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#5  Postby GUNBOY » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 am

"20 Round Box 5.45x39 60 grain FMJ ammunition from the Tula Cartridge works in Russia. This is high-quality ammunition. This is steel cased, Berdan-primed, Bimetal jacket (copper over steel) full metal jacket, non-corrosive and non-reloadable. Muzzle velocity is 2936 fps. This ammo has polymer coated steel cases. Simply put, this is some of the best ammo on the market today at a great price." CTD has it for $3.99!

No matter what they say , your still running steel jacket down your barrel. And the charge might be non-corrosive , but berdan primers usually are not NC. :roll: Just giving you the heads up.

No matter how much powder sugar you put on a turd.......
...it's still a turd! :wink:
Rust and Politicians!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living...
GUNBOY
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#6  Postby luvthemud » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 am

19114ME wrote:"20 Round Box 5.45x39 60 grain FMJ ammunition from the Tula Cartridge works in Russia. This is high-quality ammunition. This is steel cased, Berdan-primed, Bimetal jacket (copper over steel) full metal jacket, non-corrosive and non-reloadable. Muzzle velocity is 2936 fps. This ammo has polymer coated steel cases. Simply put, this is some of the best ammo on the market today at a great price." CTD has it for $3.99!

No matter what they say , your still running steel jacket down your barrel. And the charge might be non-corrosive , but berdan primers usually are not NC. :roll: Just giving you the heads up.

No matter how much powder sugar you put on a turd.......
...it's still a turd! :wink:

I agree, that is why I stated in the post that I didn't like the Russian ammo. Like I said, if someone was going to buy one to save money on ammo, which is fleets main selling point, u would have to be fine shooting Russian ammo. I think most people that are going to spend 1500 on an AR will not be ok with that. $1000 maybe, but 1500 for a gun that only shoots bad ammo is a bit much imo.
luvthemud
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#7  Postby Scott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:11 pm

I believe it's Stewart Mills running Huldra Arms.

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#8  Postby tuck » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

luvthemud wrote: 1500 for a gun that only shoots bad ammo is a bit much imo.

I concur. I'd rather have a $400 AK-74 that'll eat 5.45 all day.

That said, I'm not a Russian ammo hater. Out of cost, I run Barnaul pretty exclusively in my AR. But that's a topic for another thread...
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#9  Postby luvthemud » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 pm

so....watching top shot tonight and they showed previews for next weeks show.

it looks like to me that they are going to be using these guns! i will be shocked if that is actually the case, but i watched the preview for next week 5 times now and it looks like it to me. the listing says a new assault rifle will be used.

interesting. and if fleet is able to put these guns into this show it might be huge for them.
luvthemud
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#10  Postby bforney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:43 am

This really isn't anything new. Adams Arms makes a good product and FF basically just specified what they wanted and then put their name on it but have it made by Adam's Arms.

If you want a 5.45 system you can always just get another upper and swap them the upper and magazines.

Pistons are great, but for most people it is a solution searching for a problem. If you are running an SBR, suppressor, automatic, or throwing it around in the mud and sand you may not need a piston gun. DI is going to be much lighter. Try lugging around a piston gun (especially after putting all your accessories on it) and you DI gun will probably feel nice and light in comparison usually.
http://www.dynamicarmaments.com
http://www.dynamicfirearmsinstruction.com
Brian Forney
Firearms Instructor, gunsmith, Cerakote(tm) applicator, licensed manufacturer
bforney
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby GUNBOY » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Are we sure these rifles weren't just assembled using "Adams Arms" piston kits?
Rust and Politicians!
GUNBOY
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#12  Postby Dave-HuldraArms » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Guys,

First let me introduce myself, my name is Dave and I am on the Huldra Arms/Mills Fleet Farm team. I help out with training, promotions (including web stuff), testing, and of course shoot matches when we can. I work full time in LE in MN, have a strong firearms background both in training and in the technical side as armorer etc.

I found this thread on a search and hope you guys don't mind me hoping on here. I just wanted to stop by and let you know we're to answer any questions or offer any support. We do support the local shooting community and love the forums.

As far as our rifles go, yup its true it's exclusive to Fleet Farm (FF) as Huldra Arms is owned by FF. We partnered with Adams Arms as our primary manufacturer but also have several other great industry partners including Samson Manufacturing, Mega, JP, VLTOR, and a few others. Our rifles are build by Adams Arms for us to our specs. When we made some spec changes they did adopt some of them into their production line as we felt they were improvements and to add in production. We currently have 4 rifles and 2 uppers on the market. # rifles in 556 and one in 545. We also offer an upper in each caliber. We are proud of our rifles, their specs, and their pricing. These are not just assembled with Adams kits, they are complete piston built rifles, meaning, specific piston upper receiver, pinned gas blocks, and proprietary lower.

The rifle mentioned above for $1500 is our tactical elite model, a mid length rifle in 556. This rifle is actually a great rifle for the price, I know it sounds like a lot but here is how it breaks down.
-Melonited mid length upper with one piece carrier, mil spec RE, Huldra lower with Ergo grip
-Samson free float rail ($300+ alone)
-JP EZ Trigger ($279 alone)
-VLTOR Stock (($75 alone)

So yes while 1500 is a lot of cash when you compare us to other manufacturers it is a lot of bang for the buck. I am not here to start a piston DI debate either, there is enough threads about that on the internet to last a lifetime, but we feel there are advantages to this which is why we chose Adams Arms as our primary partner. What is nice with us, as you guys know, we are a large chain of stores in the midwest that as the product on the shelf. Stewart Mills III has been working on this project, along with the handguns and accessories in the stores for a long, long, time. He wanted to make sure it was done right and I think were off to a good start.

We also have a base model 556 rifle, a similar spec'd rifle in 545, the tactical elite mentioned above, and our flagship model the X-Pre 1, designed for competition and predator hunting. There was some talk about what Russian ammo can do to a rifle but we have been testing our 545 rifle with no lube and no cleaning, it made it to 4844 round before its first stoppage. No rust, no corrosion and its ready for more. That is mostly due to the melonite finish of the barrel and ion bonded finish of other parts.

As always any questions please ask, happy to be here.
Thanks -Dave
Dave
Team Huldra Arms/Mills Fleet Farm
www.huldraarms.com
facebook.com/huldraarms
Dave-HuldraArms
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#13  Postby Dave-HuldraArms » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Also, please check out our videos on the youtube. We have the videos of the 545 endurance and torture test, accessories, shooting and more info on the rifles.

youtube.com/huldraarms

Thanks guys,
Dave
Dave
Team Huldra Arms/Mills Fleet Farm
www.huldraarms.com
facebook.com/huldraarms
Dave-HuldraArms
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#14  Postby tuck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Dave-

Nice to see you on ArmedBadger! I've been following most of your threads over on M4C and have been very impressed with your honesty and how you stand behind your product. The guys over there can be pretty hard on new brands, especially so with anything piston related... Anyway, it's nice to see a new local brand do well and I wish you and your team nothing but good things in the future.
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#15  Postby Scott » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Welcome to our forums! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your guns. I've often thought of purchasing an AR type rifle. It's great to have a Wisconsin option. :-D
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Long Guns